At British Judo, the safety and well being of the judo community is of utmost importance to us. Given the evolving COVID-19 situation, we have listened to advice from the Government, and Sport England and are basing our response on the best interests of everyone involved in the sport.
After digesting the news from last night, we have taken the following actions:
- We have reviewed all British Judo sanctioned events until 30 April and taken the decision that none will go ahead as planned. We will be in touch with those events who have Tournament Licences for this period of time. We will release a separate updated regarding the IBSA Grand Prix shortly.
- Athletes preparing for the Olympics and Paralympics will continue working on specific programmes under specific medical supervision within the World Class Performance Programme.
- We have already cancelled all coach education and training courses until the end of June. We will look to schedule further dates in the future.
- We will have a skeleton staff working at Head Office during this period of time with the rest of our staff working remotely from home. Please only contact the office during this period if your call is essential. We will try and minimise any interruption to your membership during this period.
- We’ve considered all the information available to us in order to make the decisions above – including the fact that schools have not closed yet. The factors that apply to our affiliated clubs may differ and, for that reason, all decisions should be made based on current information and guidance from the Government and Public Health England and applied appropriately to your specific situation. We don’t know the scenario at each and every club so it’s impossible for us to provide specific advice. Therefore, it is at the discretion of each club at the moment as to whether they decide to cancel sessions.
Following the Government’s announcement yesterday regarding daily statements, we will update you if/when they release information that could further affect the day-to-day running of your club(s).
We encourage everyone involved in judo in Great Britain to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and reduce the risk of infection by following Public Health England and government guidance. Information on the current recommendations is available on the NHS.UK website and the Public Health England blog.
Anyone who has been advised to self-isolate as a result of developing symptoms and/or recent international travel to destinations specified by the Government, should not take part in any judo activities for the duration of the self-isolation period. For further information see the GOV.UK website and the NHS.UK website.
We will be in touch with all relevant groups as, and when, new advice and information changes British Judo’s position.
The British Judo team remain available 9:00am-5:00pm, Monday to Friday; if you have any questions or concerns, please try and email us a primary method of contact: email@example.com
Thank you for your continued support.