Membership Terms and Conditions
By taking out Membership of the British Judo Association (‘BJA’), (‘British Judo’), individuals or their parents/guardians consent to the member being bound by the Byelaws, Technical Regulations, Code of Conduct, Child Protection, Safeguarding policies of British Judo, and bound by the British Judo Anti-Doping rules.
- The purchaser of a Membership is required to agree to these terms and conditions at the point of purchase. Any individual purchasing Membership on behalf of a third party shall be deemed to be acting with the consent of each Member for whom they are making that purchase, including acting with the authority of each such Member to agree to these terms and conditions on their behalf. Following the purchase of a Membership, British Judo shall only communicate with the registered Member (regardless of whether such Membership was bought on their behalf or otherwise).
- British Judo shall be entitled to refuse an application from, or suspend or cancel the Membership of, any Member at its absolute discretion.
- The Membership Fee is paid on an annual basis and is non-refundable.
- The Membership of each Member will commence on the date on which it is purchased and automatically expire 12 months thereafter – unless the Member has set up a continuous payment such as an annual Direct Debit. Members should allow 14 days from the date of purchase for their Membership pack to be delivered. Nothing in these terms and conditions guarantees a Member will be entitled to renew their Membership. Once expired, all rights and benefits of Membership will cease.
- An individual Member can terminate their Membership at any time by informing British Judo. No refund of the Membership Fee (or remainder thereof) will be given.
- British Judo reserves the right to re-brand or re-name Membership products at any time.
- If a Member damages, loses or misplaces their Membership Card, or has the same stolen, they should report this to British Judo as soon as possible. British Judo shall issue a replacement Membership Card to the relevant Member (subject to the below), unless British Judo reasonably believes that a Member is, or has been, acting in a fraudulent or illegal manner and/or in breach of any of these terms and conditions. The issue of a replacement Membership Card by British Judo to a Member shall be subject to the payment of a fee to British Judo (unless British Judo in its absolute discretion decides to waive such fee) and the level of such fee shall be communicated to the relevant Member at the relevant time. The current fee to issue a replacement Membership Card that has been damaged, lost or stolen is £3.00.
- When seeking to use the benefits of Membership, a Member may be required at any time to show their Membership Card for inspection by British Judo’s representatives or partners to prove that they are a Member.
- Membership is personal to each Member, is not transferable and shall not be transferred or resold under any circumstances. Membership Cards will remain the property of British Judo at all times (each Member retaining a Membership Card on behalf of British Judo and being entitled to the benefits conferred by the Membership is subject to these terms and conditions). British Judo reserves the right to require the immediate return of the Membership Card at any time.
- British Judo reserves the right to suspend the use of Membership and/or any associated benefits for a period of time, to withdraw its use and such benefits completely and/or to terminate Membership if the Member (or any individual in possession of the Membership Card) breaches any of these terms and conditions (or British Judo has reasonable grounds to suspect such a breach) or otherwise misuses the Membership; British Judo shall not be obliged to make any refund to a Member if their Membership and/or any associated benefits are suspended or withdrawn or if their contract for the purchase of a Membership is terminated.
- Where a Direct Debit mandate has been set up on initial purchase, the Membership will automatically be renewed and the Member will automatically be charged the Membership fee on an annual basis, until the Member indicates a wish to cancel the Membership before the end of the relevant year, in accordance with the below. This means that before the end of the year, British Judo will charge the Member automatically for the next year to guarantee uninterrupted access to benefits and services of the Membership in accordance with the following:
- British Judo shall take payment for the renewal of the Member’s Membership by using the most recent information from the Direct Debit mandate provided by the Member when joining/renewing Membership. If the Member wishes to pay for the renewal of the Membership using another payment method, they should inform British Judo two weeks prior to the date that British Judo commences the process of taking the payment;
- If a Member does not wish to renew their Membership they should inform British Judo two weeks prior to the date that British Judo commences the process of taking the payment; and
- If British Judo does not receive confirmation from the Member that they do not wish to renew their Membership for the subsequent year then (i) the Member’s Membership shall automatically renew for one year following the renewal date and the Member shall not have any further right to cancel the Membership for the subsequent year and (ii) the Member shall be deemed to have accepted the terms and conditions which apply to that subsequent year.
- British Judo shall not have any liability to a Member in respect of a failure to carry out or delay in carrying out any of British Judo’s obligations under these terms and conditions caused by any circumstances outside its reasonable control.
- British Judo collects personal information when an individual becomes a Member, or when Members use services or products that require the collection of personal information. British Judo will use this information to provide the services requested, maintain records, notify Members of important information regarding an individual’s Membership (such as renewal notices), develop the organisation and, if the Member agrees, send the Member information on things that may be of interest to them. British Judo may occasionally pass such information to its suppliers to enable Members to receive services or products relating to Membership which are not fulfilled directly by British Judo (such as printed publications and Membership cards). Unless explicitly stated, British Judo does not share such information for marketing purposes with any other organisations. We take the collection and holding of personal data seriously and fully comply with Data Protection and GDPR regulations. Please contact us should you have any questions about the information we hold on you using the details below.
- British Judo shall not have any liability to a Member for any late delivery or non-delivery of a Membership Card, documents or other materials resulting from the actions or omissions of any postal service provider.
- British Judo may, from time to time, update its Membership terms and conditions. Members are advised to refer to the Membership terms and conditions prior to the renewal of their Membership annually, copies available upon request.
- The benefits of Membership, including but not restricted to retail discounts, priority access, digital content and, where applicable, legal support and insurance cover, are as advertised by British Judo. British Judo reserves the right from time to time to withdraw and/or substitute replacement products or benefits as part of Membership in place of any products or benefits advertised in promotional material.
- It is the responsibility of all members to keep their personal information up to date. You can do so by accessing your member’s profile on The Dojo and selecting “Edit”.
Use of personal data
How to contact us
Should you have any questions about the information we hold on you, please contact us by :
Email at: email@example.com
Phone on: 0121 728 6920
Post to: British Judo Association, Floor 1, Kudhail House, 238 Birmingham Road, Great Barr, B43 7AH
If you are unhappy with any aspect of our work, including the services that we deliver, and would like to submit a complaint, you can do so by writing to us by:
Email at: Sarah.firstname.lastname@example.org
Post to: Sarah Walker, British Judo Association, Floor 1, Kudhail House, 238 Birmingham Road, Great Barr, B43 7AH