The BJA has switched DBS provider to GBG Online Disclosures, the UK’s largest provider of criminal record checks. GBG Online Disclosures offers fast, automated and cost-effective screening. This will enable the BJA to make safer decisions to prevent unsuitable people from working with vulnerable groups, including children and vulnerable adults.
GBG is used by a number of NGBs including British Taekwondo, The Lawn Tennis Association and The Football Association and come highly recommended.
What are the benefits?
The benefits of GBG Online Disclosures are as follows:
- Simple and easy – GBG’s online application form is intuitive, with on-screen guidance notes which means the queries that the BJA currently receives from applicants should be significantly reduced if not removed altogether;
- Telephone support – a dedicated, friendly, experienced and knowledgeable UK based helpline providing assistance and guidance to both the organisation and the applicant;
- Document Verification – provided by the Post Office. GBG has a relationship with the Post Office which means that applicants can have their documents/identity verified (at their own cost – £5.00 + VAT) at their local Post Office (like passport check & send) rather than having to try and find a BJA checker. This will make the process much quicker and simpler for applicants and again reduce the number of queries into the BJA;
- Information recovery – easy certificate retrieval;
- Track & result – easy online application tracking and disclosure result.
In summary, by moving to GBG we can remove much of the headache that the existing DBS process brings, as well as making the experience much simpler for applicants.
Please note that the that the nominators list going forward on the new system will be kept to very few individuals and access to the system is only granted to the following approved authorised nominators:
- Primary Contact: Marina Dain – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Laurence Kenyon – email@example.com
- Keith Merrick – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joanne Baggs – email@example.com
- Chris Doherty – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nick Shepherd – email@example.com
- Dermot Heslop – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tom Hughes (Welsh Judo) – email@example.com
- Kelly Macey – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dave Horton-Jones – email@example.com
- Keith Eldridge – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Justine Lynch – email@example.com
Once you have received the link to your DBS application from a member of BJA staff and have any queries on the application process itself or are experiencing difficulties completing your application, GBG has a dedicated helpline to assist. Please contact them direct. The helpdesk telephone number is 0845 251 5000. Opening times are 8.30am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday.
Alternatively, you can email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
Or write to them at: Administration Team, GB Group plc, 1 Wilford Business Park, Ruddington Lane, Nottingham, NG11 7EP
What changes will you see?
Other than the change in provider, you should not see any other change in the service BJA dedicated staff member, Marina Dain will still receive the final DBS result in the usual way and deal with it accordingly by recording the result on the CRM system on your behalf or dealing with a positive result in the appropriate manner.