The BJA Level 1 award is the starting point for your coaching journey in judo.
If you are new to coaching judo, have limited coaching knowledge or want to get more involved in your club, then this is the course for you.
The course focuses on the ‘how to coach skills’ using practical technical examples (where relevant) to apply these skills; basic technical principles of ne-waza and tachi-waza; health and safety; and basic judo rules.
On successful completion of this course candidates will receive a British Judo Association Level 1 coaching award and will be equipped to work alongside a UKCC Level 2 or UKCC Level 3 judo coach during club or other relevant coaching sessions. Once they have turned 18 years of age, a BJA Level 1 coach may, upon the discretion of a UKCC Level 2 of UKCC Level 3 coach, also work independently under supervision.
The course will run across one weekend
Weekend: 8th, 9th October 2022
( Assessment day: 9th October 2022 )
What do you need before you can sign up?
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Be a current member of the British Judo Association
- Hold a minimum British Judo Association 2nd Kyu Grade
- Have a good knowledge of the British Judo Mon and Kyu Grade Syllabi
- Be able to communicate effectively in English (listening, speaking, reading and writing)
Candidates are required to complete a Portfolio Tasks within six month of their assessment. These tasks include:
- Four session plans (minimum of two session plans to be completed before assessment day)
- Two ne-waza and two tachi-waza coaching point diagrams
- Health and Safety task – facility check and basic first aid
- Safeguarding and Protecting Children
- Contest Rules