Lapsed Coach Information
Please remember to send us copies of your certificates when you have completed courses and NOT the originals. When sending any correspondence to the BJA that your license number is enclosed / written on the certificate to ensure no confusion of identification.
The following is required to bring up to date your coaching award:
Membership can be renewed online or by calling 01509 631 670 option 1
First Aid requirements
First Aid Course MUST last a minimum of 3 hrs and include the following:
- The role of the First Aider
- Priorities of Treatment
- Dealing with an Unconscious Casualty
- Not Breathing
On first qualifying all coaches are required to attend a first aid course to attain a basic first aid award. This course must be a minimum of three hours and paediatric only focused courses cannot be accepted. For revalidation purposes they must do a refresher course to update their award every three years.
For revalidation we will now accept an online refresher training course every alternate revalidation period. This in effect means that coaches are only required to attend a first aid course once every six years.
Coaches should be able to . . .
- Identify the key principles of good Coaching Practice, and the implications of your coaching
- Explore your values and feelings in relation to child abuse, and recognise the potential impact on your response
- Recognise the signs and indicators of child abuse and poor coaching practice
- Take the appropriate action, if concerns about a child arise
On first qualifying all coaches are required attend a safeguarding course to attain a safeguarding certificate. For revalidation purposes they must then update their certificate every three years.
For revalidation we will now accept an online refresher training course every alternate revalidation period. This in effect means that coaches are only required to attend a safeguarding course once every six years.
At this time we only accept the Sports Coach UK child protection online training which can be accessed using the following link:http://sportscoachuk.coachwisehub.com/store/28469-renewal-safeguarding-and-protecting-children?tab=1
Firstly you will need to request your login details (these will be sent to you via email or a print out can be given by the checker), this can be done through a Club Welfare Officer (CWO), Service Manager, Technical Officer or a registered DBS Checker. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org quoting your first and second name.
An online DBS check can be completed by accessing the internet from any PC/Laptop providing it has Internet Explorer/Google Chrome/Fire Fox. If you don’t own your own computer you can go to any internet cafe or local library.
Few points to remember –
- Please ensure that all pop ups are unblocked to allow you to access them.
- Due to the sensitive information and security, the time out on eCRB is five minutes.
- Please ensure all pop up boxes are closed once finished with.
- You are only given thirty days to complete your application once the login details have been issued.
Now that we are using the online DBS checking system (United Medicare) applicants are no longer required to send the Disclosure Certificate into Head Office, unless they are requested to.
For any DBS checks that are positive, we will write to the applicant requesting the Disclosure certificate. You can find the full positive Disclosure process on our website here –
For more information about DBS please follow the link
Coach Revalidation Events
Coach revalidation events can be found on our website, Calendar of Events. Please ensure the course advertisement states this is a licensed event and suitable.